The Branch (BSAC49) was
established in 1957 and is one of the oldest British
Sub-Aqua Club's branches. Originally, the Club was
based at Ilford and known as Ilford British Sub-Aqua
The Branch would meet at the
Cauliflower Pub in High Road, Ilford and train in
the old Ilford Baths across the road.
In 1976, the Club
moved from Ilford to a new location in Cambourne
Avenue, Harold Hill, where upon it changed the name of
the Branch to Havering and Ilford British Sub-Aqua
Club but kept the Branch number 49.
In 1987, we leased land
in Central Park, Gooshays Drive, Harold Hill from
Havering Council. In 1988, we commenced the building
of our current Clubhouse which was built by Club
The Club has held two
World Records for Scuba Diving. In 1974, a member
lasted 50 hours underwater in a tank. This has been
beaten now by members of the Royal Navy, by days! The
Club still hold a World Record for a member
lasting 5 hours and 25 minutes on a 12 litre cylinder
of air pumped to 200bar in a 12 foot 6 inch pool. The
Club has also won the 'Best Float' in the Romford
Carnival in 1995.
Havering and Ilford British Sub-Aqua Club has had a
varied and interesting past over the last 50 years,
far too much to fit on one single web page but, one of
our members, Steve Barnett has written a book charting
the Club's history from 1957. This can be purchased
from the Club for £12, or contact:
picture taken in 1965 at Peveral Point, Swanage.
Back: Peter Eke, Bert
Doswell, Bob McGiven, Bob Cannon and Howard Carter.
Front: Don Walker,
Roger Rose and Lionel Cracknell.
Howard is still
a full diving member!